[TowerTalk] Trying to build my own crank-up tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Trying to build my own crank-up tower
From: "Hamad Mannai" <a71aw@mail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 23:38:38 +0300
Hello All,

I am trying to build my own 50 ft crank up tower (using 3 sections of 20 ft.
each, 5 ft overlaping for the 2nd and 3rd sections). I did all the drawings,
measurements and weights which ables this tower to be free standing. Now I am
stuck with 2 major issues tobe sorted out :

1- Do I have to use any sort of (sleeve bearings) to avoid friction between the
sections while cranking up or down? or can I just make the sections as tight as
possible to each other  to avoid free movements?

2- Whats the best way to distribute pullies through the sections to manage the
up and down mechanism?

I know I am asking too much, but I never saw a crank up lattice tower closely.
And I have to build it myself because its not availabe here and in case of
importing it from US/Europe, it will cost me $2000+ as shipping charges only!!

Thanks all in advance. 73s.

Hamad Mannai - A71AW