Re: [TowerTalk] Trying to build my own crank-up tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Trying to build my own crank-up tower
From: "Pat Barthelow" <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 12:09:02 -0800
Hamad:

I  highly admire the skill and craftsmanship,  of any one individual who can
design and build a self supporting crank up tower at a cost and quality
comparable to towers available today to the radio amateur.  A daunting task,
in my opinion.  I appreciate your burden of cost and shipping costs of
commercially made towers to  your location, indeed,  you have difficult
circumstances.

After closely examining an old Tri-Ex Tower during a refurbishing project,
I've gained an appreciation for how much design thought and  precision is
necessary in fabrication of a 3 section crank-up.  Also I learned how there
is more than one way to route lifting cable(s).

The shape of the tower lattice structures, at the tops of sections A and B,
are not flat trangular in cross section, iin order to properly locate the
pulley and route the lifting cables.  In fact, take a look at the last  page
  of a TriEX tower manual from the web for some examples of pulley mounts:

http://www.hy-gain.com/man/pdf/HG-70HD.pdf

The careful placement of the pulleys and cable routing is not apparent at a
casual glance.  Close inspection, as, when you plan a cable replacement,
reveals quite close tolerance hardware, (clevis pins, precision rollers) due
to the the tight clearances between moving tower sections.  For example, it
is not possible to use cable clamps to terminate lift cables due to tight
routing clearances of the cable. (And because the manufacturer does not use
them in his original design         --Hi Steve (:->)      )
I was told that binding pulleys wear and chafe the cable, and is a cause of
tower lift cable failures.

Go to Google and do a Boolean Search, using the terms:  crank up tower
+bind to find a lot of tower talk archives, and other useful informaton
about pulleys, and other mechanical issues for crankups.

See:
http://lists.contesting.com/archives/html/Towertalk/2002-03/msg00040.html
for a good piece by Steve, K7LXC.  and another at:

http://lists.contesting.com/archives/html/Towertalk/2001-11/msg00244.html

This old Tri-Ex HZN 354 tower I am working on,  part of an old tower
trailer,  has precision rollers, maybe  1" dia at each corner that closely
fit and roll with  the corner tube of the next larger section, making the
movement smooth and reliable.  I was told that when this precision fit is
especially needed is when high winds demand  a wise decision to lower the
tower.   Problem is, this may become difficult or impossible, at a critical
time, due to wind caused side stresses causing a non-rollered tower sections
to bind, and not descend on demand. The manual cited above devotes quite a
bit of writing with many cautions,  to dealing with and fixing binding
sections of their tower.    A well known manufacturer told me that  rollers
distinguish a 'professional' tower from most amateur towers..

With respect to lift cables, I discovered there are TWO  cables used in this
tower to lift the two movable sections vertically.  One cable goes from the
base section-mounted  winch, up over a pulley mounted on the top of the base
(A) section, then  down, terminated and anchored at the base of the middle
section (B).  Hmmmm...  The SECOND lift cable is anchored TO THE BOTTOM OF
THE BASE (A) section, routed upward, inside of section B, goes to the top of
B over a pulley, to the bottom of section C, the top section.  This design
must do something better than a single cable, but I don't know what.  It
might be, that this insures more even, simultaneous, proportional,
telescoping movement of the two movable tower sections.    Or, I notice that
a single cable design would have the cable routed in an extreme, full  S
shape at each movable section, forcing the  cable to do two quick, opposite
flexing,  180 deg turns at each section, perhaps causing a shorter cable
life and adding frictional losses.

This tower is probably 35-40 years old, and apparently, the galvanizing was
done exceedingly well, there is not a spot of rust on the tower itself,  but
a lot of  rust in various areas of the trailer carrying it, (as you can see
from the pictures...)

Sooo Hamad, my hat is truly off to you, I wish you success  in  building a
quality crank-up tower from scratch....a huge accomplishment for an
individual.  I can take and post to the web detailed pictures of the pulley
mounts on the tower, if it would be helpful to you, in designing
yours...Give me a little time to post these... also check out current
pictures at:

http://groups.msn.com/towertrailers/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1
http://groups.msn.com/towertrailers/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=7
http://groups.msn.com/towertrailers/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=8