[TowerTalk] Titanix V160e Failure

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Titanix V160e Failure
From: Roger Parsons <ve3zi@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 20:06:56 +0000 (GMT)
Bruce

This must have been upsetting to say the least. I
presume that you have contacted Titanix, and wonder
what response you have received? Without question the
manufacturer should be the one to solve the problem on
a brand new antenna if the assembly and installation
instructions have been properly followed.

There are quite a lot of Titanix antennas around, and
if the failure rate was 100% (as is implied in your
post with your anecdote from D4B), I can't imagine how
Titanix could have remained in business. But they are
still in business and have been for quite some years.
And their antennas are in use in many different places
with a great variety of wind conditions.

It is my understanding that the antennas are made from
a titanium/aluminium alloy that should not work
harden. (Remember the world's first jet airliner, the
De Haviland Comet, which was designed before metal
fatigue in aluminium alloys was fully understood, and
therefore literally fell apart after a critical number
of stress cycles. Modern jet airliners do not crash
because of metal fatigue because the problem is
properly understood.)

Perhaps there is a design fault, perhaps there was a
faulty batch of tubing, perhaps all sorts of things.
But I do think you should give the manufacturer the
chance to make it right (at his expense) before you
consider modifications to make a totally different
design.

73 Roger
VE3ZI