Re: [TowerTalk] grounding radials: solid or stranded?

To: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>,"Phil Camera" <kb9cry@comcast.net>,"William Q Meeker" <wqmeeker@iastate.edu>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] grounding radials: solid or stranded?
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 08:24:30 -0800

> > Woven braid, where all the strands are uninsulated, is an
> entirely different
> > story, although comparing the same number of strands in a
> solid bundle, vs a
> > woven layer around a dielectric core might be instructive.
>
> Coaxial cable manufacturers already know that answer. That's
> why the lowest loss cables for a given conductor size have
> smooth conductors in current carrying areas.

I was thinking about the inductance and resistance of the outer woven
conductor vs the same number of strands in a compact bundle (i.e. stranded
wire).  It's pretty clear that if one had stranded wire over a dielectric
core (not woven) it would be lower inductance and loss than the same copper
in a stranded wire. (in fact, you can buy such things, for just such
purposes).

For many applications, though, the area occupied by the conductor isn't the
limiting thing, but the mass of conductor(which drives cost) is. Switching
power supplies, high Q audio inductors, and power lines seem to be such
places.  Lightning protection probably isn't.