Re: [TowerTalk] grounding radials: solid or stranded?

To: William Q Meeker <wqmeeker@iastate.edu>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] grounding radials: solid or stranded?
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 22:58:09 -0500
On Mar 14, 2005, at 7:12 AM, William Q Meeker wrote:

> I have received and read (some in the TT archives) some conflicting
> recommendations on whether to use solid or stranded copper wire for
> ground
> radials (which will connect to ground rods, appropriately spaced along
> the
> radials).

For a protective ground -- one that connects a network of ground rods
-- Use solid copper wire -- and a large gauge at that. (I think 6 gauge
is the minimum recommended) Either that, or copper strap.

Do NOT use stranded wire or braid.

For RF radials, smaller gauge wires can be used. I'd use solid wire for
ground radials because of their improved durability over stranded wire.

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901