Re: [TowerTalk] How can a SteppIR Perform So Well?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How can a SteppIR Perform So Well?
From: "Mel Martin" <mel.martin@axare.mail.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 12:29:20 -0500
>4 elements works as well as a well designed 5, 6 ... element yagi, then
why would anyone want to purchase, buy, or build the larger antenna?

Depends what you mean by "better". For example, I use a hy-gain 205.
I've often heard it argued that the boom is too short for 5 elements,
and some have even rebuilt it as a 4 element. However, my own
investigation has concluded that, while the 4 elements can give
essentially the same gain and F/B... 5 elements can provide that gain
and F/B over a much wider bandwith.

However, with the SteppIR, the bandwidth tradeoff isnt't necessary.

BTW, I have the 10M and 15M HyGain antennas using YO optimized
dimentions, and they work very well as far as I can tell! And nothing
has fallen off yet...