Re: [TowerTalk] How can a SteppIR Perform So Well?

To: <RLVZ@aol.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How can a SteppIR Perform So Well?
From: "Joe Subich, K4IK" <k4ik@subich.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 15:12:57 -0500
K9OM writes:

> The "STEPPIR has 3 active elements on each band whereas the
> C3E only has 2 active elements on 15 & 20 meters, with 3
> elements on 10-m.  So I don't see where the SteppIR has "half
> the elements" nor is comparable "apples to apples" with a C3E.

The C3/C3E has an 18' boom and 7/8 elements respectively.  The
SteppIR has a 16' boom and only three elements.  The two are
visually similar ... the SteppIR may even have a lower visual
profile.

> I do not favor one antenna over the other... but since the
> SteppIR has more active elements and since each element uses
> the full 16' boom length, whereas most of the C3E elements do
> not use the full 18' boom length, shouldn't one expect the
> SteppIR to have better gain than the C3E even if the SteppIR
> elements were a fixed length and not tuneable?

There are two questions here ... the destructive interaction
among fixed tuned elements is one of the selling points of
Force12.  They claim special efforts to eliminate that problem
and claim the directors for the higher bands contribute in
some degree to the performance on lower bands.

However, if you are asking for a comparison between the C3 and
the TWO element SteppIR, here is a quick free space check:

The SteppIR 2 element yagi vs Force 12 C-3 (free space)

                  C-3            SteppIR
    Band        Gain   F/R     Gain     F/R
     20          6.5    10      6.6     21
     17          3.0     2      6.6     16
     15          6.1    11      6.5     13
     12          5.8     9      6.4     11
     10          6.4    14      6.2      9
      6              n/a        7.7     16*
   Weight            32#            30#
Turning Radius      19.8'          18.2'
   Price:           $690           $885

* With optional fixed 6 meter element.

To each his own ...

73,