[TowerTalk] BC Antenna + Radials

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] BC Antenna + Radials
From: WarrenWolff@aol.com
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 00:07:29 EST
Many many years ago, I was fortunate to have an opportunity  to
tour BC station XELO in Juarez, Mexico.  Interesting  visit.  We walked
through the inside of the transmitter!  It was modulated  at the 1 KW stage.
The finals were six(?) 892R's, water cooled, running  150 KW output.

We walked to an antenna tuner in a separate building and were  guided
through the dark by a large fluorescent  bulb carried by the chief engineer.

Now for foggy recollection:  I believe that the ground  was a screen
wire reaching in all directions - - maybe 150 feet.  All  of the residential
wrought iron fences within a couple  hundred yards had to be grounded to
protect children.  I guess that  eliminated RF?

There were provisions for a second vertical, but the signal  was so
strong that they never installed it.  I could hear it  well in Hawaii many
years later.  If any one has toured the place since, I  would be interested in a
trip report.  Cannot hear it hear in So CA; is it still  in operation?

Regards,  Warren; W5KKW