Re: [TowerTalk] BC Antenna + Radials

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] BC Antenna + Radials
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 11:52:27 -0000
> Now for foggy recollection:  I believe that the ground  was a screen
> wire reaching in all directions - - maybe 150 feet.  All  of the
> residential
> wrought iron fences within a couple  hundred yards had to be grounded to
> protect children.  I guess that  eliminated RF?

no, it doesn't eliminate RF, it just equalizes the voltage between the
ground and the fence.  This prevents what power utilities call 'step' or
'touch' potential. by making the voltages the same someone standing on the
ground then touching the fence won't feel anything, the same if they
happened to touch the ground screen and a nearby fence.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net