Re: [TowerTalk] Isolation Transformer

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Isolation Transformer
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 16:10:17 -0600
On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 13:19:36 -0500, Martin Ewing wrote:

>A transformer _can_ provide some protection against HF signals &
>transients that may come in on the line, but most transformers aren't
>designed for that kind of isolation.  The best ones are carefully
>shielded between primary & secondary to reduce capacitive coupling.

Yes. There are isolation transformers, and there are isolation transformers,
and some are far better than others. More to the point, HOW they are
installed is at least as important as the transformer. This is covered in the
Power and Grounding White Papaer that I wrote for SurgeX, a very good mfr of
lighting protection products for power line branch circuits. I have their
units on all my audio, computer, and ham gear.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/SurgeXPowerGround.pdf

That said, I agree with others that an isolation transformer is unlikely to
help your lightning protection situation. Good grounding practices and good
wiring practices are far more important. Some of that is covered in the white
paper. Tom Rauch has laid out some excellent ideas on the subject.

Jim Brown  K9YC