Re: [TowerTalk] [BULK] - Re: [BULK] - Re: Tower Restrictions

To: 'Bob Nielsen' <nielsen@oz.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [BULK] - Re: [BULK] - Re: Tower Restrictions
From: Steve Katz <stevek@jmr.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 09:59:45 -0800

> ::One problem with buying property having any recorded deed restrictions
at
> all, even if the only recorded restriction prohibits pig farming and
there's
> no mention of antennas, is that *any* covenants paves the path for
> additional covenants to be added later, often by nothing more than a
> majority vote of HOA members.  This has happened time and again all over
the
> country.  In one case locally, the homeowner paid more than $30K in legal
> fees to fight the HOA for adding more covenants after the fact, and lost
the
> case -- and the $30K.  Better to not have any.  -WB2WIK/6

Actually the house in question had CC&Rs but no HOA.  I once looked at a
house on acreage where the CC&Rs prohibited antennas, but specifically
said "no restrictions on any livestock".  The wording is critical in any
case.  I have no restrictions at my present location (practically the
only condition I made when my wife started looking at houses).

Bob, N7XY

::Good deal, Bob.  I should have mentioned also: All is not lost for those
not wishing to move to the boonies or buy acreage in order to amass a
reasonable ham station antenna farm.  You just have to know where to look.
I've lived in the NYC metro area, the Boston metro area, the Jacksonville
metro area, and now for the past 17 years in Los Angeles, and having owned
15 different homes, I've never had one with restrictive covenants (and never
will).  L.A., specifically, is a very "ham friendly" town.  CA has adopted
PRB-1, signed by ex-governor Davis years ago, and L.A. allows antenna towers
without conditional use permits for licensed amateurs, all over the city
(unless there are private deed restrictions).  Covenant-free properties
widely exist and are easily found here, in highly desirable neighborhoods --
including many where typical lot sizes are small (1/4-ac to 1/3-ac).  Many
very big signals on the HF bands are generated by big towers on these small
lots.  1/2 mile from me, K6SMF has five large towers with HF monobanders
(all bands including 3L on 40) on a 1/3-ac lot.  I had zero problems
installing my own tower a month after I moved in, four years ago.  It
doesn't take "acreage," but it does take an intelligent search and knowledge
of the local market.  -WB2WIK/6