[TowerTalk] FW: Shunt Feeding Crank Up Towers

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] FW: Shunt Feeding Crank Up Towers
From: "James C. Hall, MD" <nwtcc@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 17:44:12 -0600
Pics are on the way Tom. Presently, the radials are the ground screen of the
tower itself - 9 60-footers, with ground rods every 16'. Nothing special,
but it works. I'll eventually do a more involved ground radial system - uh,
in my spare time :)  No static that I can detect with tower movement, but I
do use Beverage antennae for receive most of the time, occasionally
switching to the 80M delta loop and the tower.  You'll get MUCH better
results than the inverted V. I used a long Carolina Windom for my prior 160M
antenna - worked pretty well in close (all but one state AK in the CQ 160
test), but was a dog for any DX beyond the Caribbean. Now, no sweat getting
into EU. Receiving is still the big chore - thinking about a K9AY loop for
the off months. Being at the bottom of the sunspot cycle, it may actually be
OK during those months.

73, Jamie
WB4YDL