[TowerTalk] When a Yagi Loses an Element

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] When a Yagi Loses an Element
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 19:38:15 EST
Ah, the residual damages from the hurricanes continue to mount.  The latest
casualty is is real problem.  The 4 el 40 meter KLM lost it's reflector in a
severe windstorm form a squall line that came through last night.  The two
clamps that held it in place broke, which could explain why it was beginning to
look a little off kilter the last few weeks.

Fixing it will be a problem.  The reflector did no sustain any non-repairable
damage from its fall from 200 feet.  However, getting the element back in
place is a challenge.  The antenna is now very nose heavy and once the U-bolts
are loosened, the front end will make a nose dive straight down into the guys
wires.  I had this problem with the 5 el 20 meter KLM at 200 ft last fall after
it lost its reflector and damn near lost the antenna.  There is no way to
reach the end of the boom to attach any counterweight to it to balance it.

I am not even up to figuring out how to get the element back out on the end
of the boom yet.  The antenna is mounted in a traditional fashion on a flat-top
Rohn 55 with no other antennas below it.

Ideas, other than getting a crane or other budget busting ideas?

Bill K4XS