[TowerTalk] When a Yagi Loses an Element

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] When a Yagi Loses an Element
From: <kk9a@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 17:04:10 -0000
It may be easier to repair it on the tower, assuming that you really like
the antenna.  It's hard to say without seeing your situation, but perhaps
you can attach a hand winch as far out on the boom as you can reach toward
the reflector side and to a point on the tower maybe 20' below.  Then attach
a cable or rope from your mounting plate to the top of the mast.  You should
be then able to remove the mounting u-bolts and using the hand winch pull
the reflector toward end toward the tower making the boom vertical.  You can
then reattach the reflector, winch the antenna back to horizontal and
reattach it to the tower.  I've used this method to repair my 40m full size
antenna and to make adjustments to my 60' boom 20m antennas, however nothing
was out of balance.

GL and be careful,
John KK9A

From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 19:38:15 EST

Ah, the residual damages from the hurricanes continue to mount.  The latest
casualty is is real problem.  The 4 el 40 meter KLM lost it's reflector in a
severe windstorm form a squall line that came through last night.  The two
clamps that held it in place broke, which could explain why it was beginning
look a little off kilter the last few weeks.

Fixing it will be a problem.  The reflector did no sustain any
non-repairable
damage from its fall from 200 feet.  However, getting the element back in
place is a challenge.  The antenna is now very nose heavy and once the
U-bolts
are loosened, the front end will make a nose dive straight down into the
guys
wires.  I had this problem with the 5 el 20 meter KLM at 200 ft last fall
after
it lost its reflector and damn near lost the antenna.  There is no way to
reach the end of the boom to attach any counterweight to it to balance it.

I am not even up to figuring out how to get the element back out on the end
of the boom yet.  The antenna is mounted in a traditional fashion on a
flat-top
Rohn 55 with no other antennas below it.

Ideas, other than getting a crane or other budget busting ideas?

Bill K4XS