Re: [TowerTalk] Guying Self-Supp. Towers

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guying Self-Supp. Towers
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 22:34:14 EDT
Back in the 70s when I get the pucker factor just from thinking about
climbing a tower, I got hold of the brochures from both Heights tower and
Universal.
Both were makers of non-guyed aluminum towers.

I remember, although the towers were made to be self-supporting, there was a
guying diagram showing the guying intervals if one decided to guy them.
Although I think it was the Heights Tower that had guying intervals mentioned,
but
it may have been Universal.  In any case it is one of the few towers that was
made to be self-supporting, but allowed you to guy if you wanted to.

Since that time, many years have passed and I have thrown away the literature
and have just one Heights 64 footer with a KT 34XA on top.  However, I do
have one set of guys at around 55 feet to stabilize it.  I would rather be on
top
of my 200 footers than be on that one without guys.  Plus, the holes begin to
egg out after a while from all the flexing without the guys.

Bill  K4XS