[TowerTalk] W3CRA's location

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] W3CRA's location
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 10:01:51 -0400
         While doing a little research on AC5PN
(not A51PN who is a different station), I checked
my K4RID log entry from 12/11/1960 when I worked
Chhawna on my 16th birthday.  I got a 579 from
him and noticed a log notation that W3CRA got
559.  If any of you OT's remember W3CRA,
you know this was truly worthy of a log entry!

         Frank Lucas W3CRA of Canonsburg, PA
near Pittsburg probably had the most amazing
ability to hear on 20 meters of any station I've ever
heard.  I still can recall listening to him many times
running Central Asian stations that I could not even
hear a trace of in North Carolina.  I'm not surprised
at instances like this on 160 meters, where the
propagation can be very selective, but this was on
20 which is much more predictable.

         Do any of you happen to have first-hand
knowledge of Frank's location in Canonsburg?
He apparently only used a 3 element Yagi, so
his QTH must have been fabulous.  I would be
very interested if anyone knows any details of
his location.  It would almost be worth a trip to
see it myself because I am still in awe to this
day...even after nearly 50 years on the air.

                         73,  Bill  W4ZV (ex-K4RID)