[TowerTalk] Serious RF Problem

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Serious RF Problem
From: RLVZ@aol.com
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 19:34:38 EDT
Hi Guys,

I'd appreciate your thoughts on a RF problem at my summer QTH: A tribander is
mounted on a self-supporting 50' tower.  (no guy wires)  The tower is mounted
3' away from the shack... which is a 64' mobile home.  Any power level over
75 watts usually causes the rig to lock up at full power.  (whether on 10,15,
or 20 m.)  Various types of grounding have been tried without success.  At this
time, the tower is grounded with 8' ground rods and  #2 copper wire going
from the tower to the outside electric main entrance box which is 14' away.
The
frame of the mobile home is also grounded to this same common ground.  (I've
tried the frame grounded and ungrounded with no difference)

I am thinking there must be interaction between the antenna and the steel
frame under the mobile home.  The actual length of the steel frame is 61'.  Of
course, there are two of these 61' I frames under the house.

I have had this problem with 3 different HF radios so it isn't a radio
problem.   Of course the rig is grounded to the common ground mentioned above.
(grounding the rig helped a little but not much).  Sometimes I need more than
75
watts... so all ideas are appreciated as to how I can crank up the power
without the rig going into orbit.

Thanks & 73, Dick- K9OM