Re: [TowerTalk] Mini Lini on the Tower?

To: richard@karlquist.com, "AA6DX - Mark" <aa6dx@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mini Lini on the Tower?
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 12:07:44 -0700
At 11:29 AM 5/16/2005, Rick Karlquist wrote:
>Yes all sorts of problems disappear, but you won't save any money.
>On the contrary, you will spend a lot more money on amplifiers.
>A lot more than you will save on coax, etc.  I thought a lot about
>schemes like this (using *cheap* amplifiers) and I never arrived
>at a scenario that made sense.  Also, running arrays with separate
>amplifiers per antenna specifically is a non-starter if you have
>any mutual coupling between antennas.
>
>Rick N6RK

Mutual coupling doesn't make it exactly a non-starter, but substantially
more difficult to design and operate than something with passive feed
networks. How hard depends a LOT on how close the antennas are and what the
coupling is.  From a practical standpoint, you'll probably wind up having a
fairly complex matching network on the output of the amp so that it sees
something close to 50 ohms resistive.

Again, depending on how much superdirective gain you want, you might wind
up with a lot of excess amplifier capacity.   Taking a simple and
straightforward example, if you have a linear equal spaced array, the
maximum directivity will tend to be arrangements where the power is greater
in the middle of the array. (things like "binomial feed" 1:2:1 power (or
current) distribution, are an example).

The reduction in overall lost power is, I think, something to
contemplate.  Much better to have the 1 dB loss in feedline in front of the
amplifier than after it. It's a dB either way, but in a wallplug to
radiated power efficiency world, the former is better than the latter.

Of course, in the ham world, it matters not, since transmit power
efficiency (in a wall plug sense) isn't regulated.

The other thing that would make this MUCH more interesting is when they do
away with the max gain limit on amplifiers.  As long as you're constrained
to 10-12 dB gain in a box that puts out reasonable power, it just doesn't
buy you much to move the amp to the element.  If I could send a few tens of
milliwatts to the amp module, and still get 500W out. Now THAT would be useful.