Re: [TowerTalk] Mini Lini on the Tower?

To: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist (N6RK)" <richard@karlquist.com>,"Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>, "AA6DX - Mark" <aa6dx@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mini Lini on the Tower?
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 11:06:44 -0400
> > The advantage is that it's a new technology, which, in
the long run, has
> > great potential.  Such innovation should be encouraged
because it
> > "advances
> > the state of the radio art", which is one of the reasons
we
> > amateurs get to
> > use valuable spectrum for free.  The SGC implementation
may have problems,
> > but it might also have unique advantages, both of which
nobody will know
> > until people start to actually use them.
>
> Some people just like to have the state of the art.  Solar
panels
> come to mind.  My experience has been that a lot of
"innovative"
> technology comes with a long list of "features", but the
one that
> is almost always missing is "cost effectiveness."

People sometimes thing because something passes TA is fit to
be used. Some amplifiers and many radios are just barely
better than class C for IM3 performance. It would be
interesting to see where this product falls.

Jim alluded to GG amps, but in fact GG amps because of
large amounts of  negative feedback inherent in the
configuration are almost always exceptionally clean. Tetrode
amps and solid state amps are another story.

Cost effectiveness aside, I hope any restructuring tightens
up on occupied bandwidth with clear regulations and
manufacturers are forced to comply with reasonable
standards.

Right now the entire bandwidth fault falls on the end user.
Manufacturers never have to test or comply with bandwidth
regulations. As our hobby moves away from people skilled in
the art and as it becomes less and less fashionable to give
critical reports, a shift towards controls at the
manufacturing end would be nice.