Re: [TowerTalk] Tennadyne's T3.20M - 8.5 dBd on 18' boom

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tennadyne's T3.20M - 8.5 dBd on 18' boom
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 11:47:25 -0400
W9TM wrote:

>I'm not sure why Gotham antennas get such a bad rap, at least not the
>verticals.

         I don't believe there was any actual problem
with the verticals themselves, just the advertising hype...

W2AGN:
 >I remember the old Gotham Vertical Ads. "Worked the World
with my Gotham Vertical, ground mounted and NO radials." (The guy no doubt
lived in a salt-water swamp. Or, "I worked 200 countries in a week with my
Gotham Vertical!"  (Yeah, right, never saw the guys call on the DXCC
listings).

http://qrp.kd4ab.org/2002/020320/0081.html

         Tennadyne's monobanders may be very
fine antennas, but their advertising probably overstates
gain by ~2 dB.  Very surprising in these days of "Truth
in Advertising" laws, but transceiver manufacturers
do the same with impunity and get away with it.

"What truth-in-advertising rules apply to advertisers?
Under the <http://www.law.cornell.edu:80/uscode/15/41.html>Federal Trade
Commission Act:
    * Advertising must be truthful and non-deceptive;
    * Advertisers must have evidence to back up their claims; and
    * Advertisements cannot be unfair."
http://www.lawpublish.com/ftc-adfaq.html

         Tennadyne clearly has a problem with the first two
points for their monobander claims IMHO.  "There's a sucker
born every minute" and "Caveat Emptor" still apply today.

                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV