Re: [TowerTalk] Mounting 4 square verticals

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mounting 4 square verticals
From: "Tom McAlee" <tom@klient.com>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 01:03:07 -0400
If he's talking about full-size 80m verticals, I would assume they would be
guyed in which case 1 foot into the ground would be plenty in any wind as in
this case the its only job is to carry the vertical load and prevent the
bottom from kicking out.

I'd recommend pouring some concrete on the bottom of the hole or at least
putting some big rocks down there.  I thought I was safe having very hard
clay soil, but I once had the base of an 80m vertical sink about 8" further
into the ground than where I planted it which loosened up the guys quite a
bit.

I still don't know how it happened... its like something washed out down
there or a mini sink hole opened up (sink holes and caves, large and small,
are everywhere around here).

Tom, NI1N