Re: [TowerTalk] How far from the house?

To: "Alan NV8A (ex. AB2OS)" <nv8a@att.net>,TowerTalk Reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How far from the house?
From: Lee Buller <k0wa@swbell.net>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 06:29:57 -0700 (PDT)
This thread as become...well...funny in a way.  First
of all, most hams don't have towers that are tall
enough to warrant an ice shield.  Yea, I know about
terminal velosity.

Towers have been by houses and barns and sheds since
towers were invented.  I've had towers connected to
the house.  Never had a problem with any of it.  No
ice, no lighten, no nothing.  I do get some bird crap,
but that just hoses off.

Most hams would have trouble getting a tower on a city
lot and I betcha that most hams do what they have to
do to get the tower up.  For instance, I have a 60
foot tower up and there was not way I could do that
without have one guy in the front yard.  Actually, it
is in the side yard but it is in the front.  Painted
the stantion Forrest Green and planted a bush in front
of it.  The tower fits on a lot that is 80 by 150
feet.  So, if you want and tower, do what you need to
do.  Lighting is an issue...ground the tower as best
you can...disconnect antenna terminals when there is a
storm...and have some good homeowners insurance.  Do
everything that is smart to do.

I do believe we as hams get so focused in on problems
that it takes the fun out of it all.

Lee - K0WA

Common sense is in short supply - get some and use it.
If you can't find any common sense, ask for help from
somebody that has some common sense. - Lee Buller