Re: [TowerTalk] insulators "Applications"

To: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] insulators "Applications"
From: "Roger K8RI on Tower" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 22:30:24 -0400

> Not if this item is an indicator:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=795&item=6181216329&r
> d=1
> these are not the rare telegraph insulators from the 1890's or so.  These

Although still in use today I think you will find they are "left over's" and
really are antique.  I haven't hear of them being manufactured in a very
long time. Still, there may be some, some where.  I think it an antique
store had that insulator it'd be listed at far more than a dollar. <:-))

> are more like 1950-1970 vintage I would guess and many of them are still
> in
> use today.

At one time I had over a bushel basket full of those old green telegraph
insulators.  Our entire telephone line which was probably 12 to 15 miles
long used those with 2 to 4 on every pole.  I had miles of that wire, and a
stack of poles. The poles weren't much good, but the farmers could use the
wire for electric fences although it was about 4 times the diameter of
regular electric fence wire.  So, even though it was free, I still had a lot
left, but that was almost 50 years ago.

The line was a private coop which was bought out when dial phones went in.
We gave away 100s of those poles which were cut up to make fence posts.
They probably threw the insulators away.

I still have the test set though. My dad and I did the maintenance on the
line.   Those phones used magnetoes and even though we'd go in and tell them
in no uncertain terms not to use the phone as we'd be working on it, I don't
know how many times I got "zpapped" while testing.  That was a large party
line and when those women would hear the bells jingle a bit they'd run and
pick up the receiver to listen.  I'f they didn't hear any one they'd
immediately start cranking.  That was when my dad found I had a larger
vocabulary than he'd realized.<:-))

I learned to use "climbers" on those old splintered poles too.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com