Re: [CQ-Contest] [TowerTalk] insulators "Applications"

To: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>, "'YCCC'" <yccc@yccc.org>,"'reflector cq-contest'" <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] [TowerTalk] insulators "Applications"
From: "Milt Jensen, N5IA" <n5ia@zia-connection.com>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 07:59:59 -0700
Dave and all,

These are called bell& socket suspension insulators for use in electric
power line applications.  They are the basic
building block for strings of vertical or horizontal strings of insulators
that are composed of a given quantity of individual units according to
thevoltage of the electric line on which they are being used.  That is, you
maysee as few as two on a 7.2/12.47 Y distribution circuit and perhaps 15 on
a 345 kV T-line circuit.  They are made in 6" and 10" diameter varieties and
again quantity of given diameter indicates operating voltage of the line
they are deployed upon.

As yours are, they may be made of glass or glazed porcelain.  Today's
technology has many utilities deploying much lighter weight units made of
modern man made materials, ie. a fiberglass rod encased in an polymer
covering with molded skirts.

The telephone/telegraph insulators are somewhat smaller and do not have any
metal parts.  They are constructed such that the hollow in the center has
female threading and installs by screwing down over a wooden or metal pin
install in the top of a crossarm.  The same design is used for most lower
voltage electric distribution lines where the conductor is not under a
deadend or  large angle stress.

The telephone/telegraph types were typically made of glass and most electric
distribution pin insulators were/are made of porcelain.  Again, many modern
electric insulators are made of polymers.

Have a good holiday weekend.

Milt, N5IA