Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor on AB577

To: "'Joe Subich, K4IK'" <k4ik@subich.com>,"'Dana Roode'" <dana.roode@gmail.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor on AB577
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 19:09:02 -0400
Joe,

Hate to differ with you, but the Ham IV lower mast clamps will fit the
AB-577 adapter. I have three AB-557s: a 75-footer with a Tailtwister and two
50-footers with Ham IVs. Both rotor models use exactly the same lower mast
clamps, which I got from Norm's Rotor Service. Norm's part number is 51467,
which matches the Hy-Gain number.

I can think of two possibilities for the discrepancy: 1) You're thinking of
the smaller Hy-Gain rotors (Ham-M, Ham-2, etc.), or 2) There's more than one
adapter size for the AB-577. The latter suggested itself when I read K3BZ's
post that said the mast adapter is 2.75" OD. My three adapters are only
2.35" in diameter (I have a spare adapter in the garage and just measured
it.) I'm a bit skeptical of theory #2, as my adapters exactly match the
pictures in the Army installation manual.

A note of caution: if you use a Tailtwister or Ham IV with lower mast
clamps, apply thread lock on the rotor-to-clamp bolts and on the clamp
u-bolts. I didn't do that initially and found one of my Ham IV's rocking in
the wind! Tighten those bolts down good, but don't strip 'em. Also, be
advised that the rotor capacity is derated 50% when mast mounted.

[For those who are interested, the Tailtwister turns a 4-el SteppIR. Yes, I
know that's the absolute max load for the tower, but the guy anchors are in
real solid and haven't moved a bit in years. That AB-577 used to have a
40-2CD turned by an HD-73 (!) One of the Ham IVs turns a Force12 C3E and the
other turns a Force 12 5-el 15m monobander.]

73, Dick WC1M