Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator cable

To: towertalk reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator cable
From: "Alan NV8A (ex. AB2OS)" <nv8a@att.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 11:36:00 -0400
> Where do I find rotator cable with 2 x #14 (#12 would be better still)
>> and 2 x #18 (or smaller) conductors for an AlfaSpid?

Many people have suggested (both on the reflector and in individual
emails) Romex.

Now that I think about it, I can't see why the right kind of Romex
wouldn't work -- the kind that's intended for wet locations and is UV
resistant: "UF-B" ??

But Romex uses solid conductors, whereas all the stuff that is sold as
being for rotator use (e.g., the various Belden cables with conductors
of two different sizes) is stranded and therefore more flexible. Why
specify a flexible cable when nothing below the rotator should be moving
around and requiring flexibility?

I'd thought of using the stuff they sell for low-voltage outdoor
lighting systems. It's available with stranded conductors of various
different gages and is claimed to be UV resistant, but has only two
conductors, so I'd need two separate runs. Anybody see anything wrong
with this?

Alan NV8A