Re: [TowerTalk] Where do I find insurance for my Climber?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Where do I find insurance for my Climber?
From: Bob Smith <na6t@na6t.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 23:28:37 -0700
The best thing for you to do if you are hiring a climber for tower work is
to find
a climber that is already insured.  Most companies that hire out as climbers
charge $180 - $250/hr, but supply 2 men, insurance, their own equipment, etc.
IE: the monkey is on their back for mistakes, injury, etc.  This sounds
expensive
but any mistakes in the install, a fall or injury doesn't hit your
insurance, it hits
theirs!!

A good example of this is my own experience, Insurance for installing a
wireless
system update for a City was $4200 for approximately 6 months, but if both my
feet were on a tower the insurance went to $32,000 for the same 6 months.
I beat this by becoming a 'part-time' city employee for the job, I cut them a
deal on my labor rate, I gained workers compensation insurance, the city
doesn't
have to pay the normal benefits for a "full time employee" and saved
us both money,

Bob Smith
Robert Smith Consulting
"Wireless Installations -- Government, Businesses & ISP's"
F.C.C. Licensed-Commercial & Amateur Services
A.R.S NA6T
ARRL Life Member
Fort Bragg, California   95437

"On The Air-Conditioned Mendocino Coast, In REAL Northern California"
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Message: 1
Where do I find insurance for my climber?