[TowerTalk] installing monster masts in towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] installing monster masts in towers
From: "JC Smith" <jc-smith@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 12:02:00 -0700
OK, so lets say I've got my new, super HD, 70', freestanding, Trylon or AN
Wireless  tower up in place.  Now I've got to get that 24' Chrom-Moly mast
up there and through the thrust bearing somehow.  How the heck do you do
that (no cranes allowed, it looks like I'm going to have to stick build the
tower)?  The antennas I can tram up on temporary guy wires, but even if I
could do that with the mast I've still got to stand it up to get it through
the center of the tower.  Big gin pole?  Seems like you'd need a gin pole to
raise a gin pole big enough to handle one of those monster masts.
Helocopter?  Maybe... gee, might as well have them pick up the tower as
well, but how much does that cost?  Anyone have experience with that and can
give me a ballpark number?  It's gotta be big bucks, and doing it over a
residential neighborhood?  Maybe not even possible.  So, how the heck do you
do that?  Build the tower around the mast and pull it straight up the
middle?  Any other suggestions?
Thanks & 73 - JC, k0hps@amsat.org