Re: [TowerTalk] MonstIR install

To: "JC Smith" <jc-smith@comcast.net>,"'Dale Martin'" <kg5u@hal-pc.org>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] MonstIR install
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 09:50:05 -0700
At 07:55 PM 6/21/2005, JC Smith wrote:
>Hi Dale,
>
>I seriously considered the chopper option a few weeks ago.  It's completely
>out of the question (as many on here pointed out at the time).  Even if I
>could afford it (more than the tower and antennas combined)

Really?  What were you quoted, out of curiosity?  Around here (Los Angeles)
they use helicopters to install things like air conditioners on the roofs
of buildings and such, and it can't be all that expensive (as in not into
the many kilodollar range).  We also used to hire helos to pick up and drop
things for special effects work, but that was a less price sensitive market.

>  the local FAA
>wouldn't give permission due to my location.

Are you in some sort of prohibited flight area? You'll almost certainly
have to (or, more likely the helicopter folks will have to) go down to the
local FAA office to get a waiver, but fundamentally, that's just a matter
of paper pushing.  We picked up and carried all manner of things for motion
picture production and shooting purposes all over the place in southern
California, and the only hiccup we ever had was when our intended flight
path happened to get to close to former President Reagan's house, so we to
modify the plans a bit.   Mind you, we didn't try to do something like ask
to hover in the departure corridor for LAX.

>  I do appreciate your making
>the suggestion though.  Sometimes the obvious gets overlooked.

As you say, though, you might have insurmountable practical details for
your location.  It would be useful to pass your information to the list
where it might get some others thinking "out of the gin pole
box".  Construction technology has advanced since the days of the pyramids,
and some is remarkably reasonably priced (or might appeal to a ham who has
more money than spare time).