Re: [TowerTalk] MonstIR install via. helicopter

To: "'Jim Lux'" <jimlux@earthlink.net>,"'Dale Martin'" <kg5u@hal-pc.org>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] MonstIR install via. helicopter
From: "JC Smith" <jc-smith@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 11:34:41 -0700
Hi Jim,

I must have deleted the e-mail reply I got (from someone on the TT
reflector) that listed some prices for helicopter lifts, but they were in
the kilobucks.  However, at that time we were discussing lifting the whole
tower, not just the antenna so that would obviously have an effect on the
price.  There are other problems, like finding an open area large enough to
build a MonstIR.  My back yard is one of the most open areas available and
it wouldn't fit in there.  I'd probably have to go to public open space or a
local park to assemble the monster and the chopper would have to puck it up
there and deliver it to my place.  I'm in the middle of an R10 zoned area
(10,000 sq. ft. minimum lot size) so it's not like we are all on
postage-stamp PUD lots, but we aren't out in the country either.  We are 5
miles outside the local class D airspace and well under the SFO class B so I
guess FAA permission is possible, depending on how low they would have to
fly.  I'm only a mile from the center of Walnut Creek (a major downtown
business district).

Another concern is service.  I'd have to plan on hiring the chopper again at
some point, as I don't know any antenna that will last "forever."  Still, it
might be good to know if it is even possible, and at what cost.  Perhaps the
gentleman who responded previously would do so again, and any one else with
experience with helicopter lifts.  I'll check with the local FSS and see
what I can find out.

73 - JC, k0hps@amsat.org