Re: [TowerTalk] Guying a Rohn Tower

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guying a Rohn Tower
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 10:31:51 EDT
In a message dated 7/3/05 3:22:21 AM Greenwich Standard Time, ne0p@lcisp.com
writes:
I am in the planning stages for getting a tower up in the next couple of
years (hopefully) and am hoping to get some feedback from the group concerning
this.  Here is my situation:  I don't have much room for guy wires in my yard,
nor a desire to have guys running all over my yard.  I wonder if I could go
with
Rohn 25 or 45 unguyed, as I could use house brackets on 2 sides to help
support it.  I would like to have 40 feet or so of tower, with a 2 element
tribander (16 pounds), a cushcraft 13B2 (5 pounds), and a Cushcraft 719B (3
pounds)
mounted on the mast-whatever that weights.  Is this a reasonable setup, or
would
Rohn 25 or 45 have to be guyed, even with the house brackets?
I don't recommend either the 25 or the 45 unguyed at that height, either does
Rohn.  Using the house bracket would be the way to go.  By the way, it isn't
the weight of antenna that is all that important, it's the wind load (sq. ft)
of the antennas.

Bill K4XS