Re: [TowerTalk] Guying a Rohn Tower

To: TowerTalk Post <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guying a Rohn Tower
From: Jim Idelson <k1ir@designet.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 12:45:35 -0400
John,

A house bracketed 25G or 45G tower is the way many of us got our first towers
up on smaller lots. It is a great way to go. Rohn specs are available for many
configurations. 40 feet is very reasonable. Normally, you will see two brackets
called out in the specs. Many installations are done with just a good base and
a single bracket. The biggest safety factors are:
-  Quality of the base
-  Strength of the attachment of the bracket to the house ** very important **
-  Limiting the amount of tower extending above the highest bracket [not more
than one full section plus a top section is fairly conservative]
-  Limiting the windload of the antennas you install [much more important than
the weight of the antennas]

One more thing that you should be aware of with any house-bracketed
installation - noise. Mechanical tower noises are transmitted through the
bracket to the house - and you will definitely hear them. There are several
sources of noise to be aware of:
-  Antenna "play" in the rotor. When the antenna is blown back and forth by the
wind, there is sometimes a little noise generated, particularly with rotors
that have a "brake" - like Ham IV and TailTwister
-  Tower twisting  and bending in the wind can cause squeaky sounds to flow
through the house
-  Any loose hardware will bang the side of the tower and you'll hear those
noises inside. Be particularly careful to secure the feedlines to the tower
legs

A couple of years ago, I upgraded my main tower to 45G from 25G. If I could
influence everyone to choose 45G or larger for ANY ham installation, I would.
The climbability and stability of 45G is just way beyond 25G. With only four
sections in your plan, you'll be a lot happier if you choose 45G, and it won't
cost that much.

"Just do it" and you will be very happy!

73,

Jim K1IR

[TowerTalk] Guying a Rohn Tower
from [John Geiger] [Permanent Link][Original]