Re: [TowerTalk] Water in my XM240

To: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Water in my XM240
From: Larry G <larryg@harborside.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 17:30:47 -0700
XM240

  One thing you should do before raising that antenna. Check the continuity
of the coils. Mine had four coils that were open, two on each antenna.
Cushcraft relies on pressure from a self-tapping screw to cut through the
wire enamel. Two of these screws had not cut through the enamel. My solution
was to cut back the heatshrink on the coils and scrape the enamel off the
wire and retighten the screws. This solved all the problems.

   Also, end caps are a bad idea. Alway leave them off the boom and elements
and tighten the boom trusses so there is slight amount of sag in the boom so
water will run out the ends. I am on the south Oregon coast and water in
antennas is a serious problem and leaving the caps on fixed everything.

73 de Larry K7MI