Re: [TowerTalk] Guy points

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guy points
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 20:40:54 -0400
> GA
>
> I would like to put up a 100 ft Rohn 55 tower with the guys out at 120
> feet.
> Can anyone tell me if this is an acceptable position for the guys and
> where
> I can get the information to support it.

There are good points and bad points, but I doubt the difference between the
typical distance and 120 feet is going to make much difference. (about 50%
longer)

The only draw back is you want to call it that is the weight of the extra
guy wire and the longer catenary.  The calculated forces from weight and
proper tension will not be much greater than using the normal anchor points
which I think would probably be around 80 feet. (I don't have my catalog
handy and I know I have one burried "some where" here on the computer)
The longer catenary will give you a lower resonant frequency for the guy
lines and a bit more give due to a slightly deeper catenary compared to the
shorter guys.

There's probably an engineer or two on here who can give you the specifics.
It seems like the old ROHN catalong mentioned longer guys, but that may just
be my faulty memory.

Good Luck,

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com