Re: [TowerTalk] Estimate of guyed tower totals in USA

To: "Al Toothaker" <N6TA@arrl.net>,"'David Edwards-Zoars'" <david.edwards-zoars@pbtelecom.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Estimate of guyed tower totals in USA
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 12:41:55 -0400
The question was for "wireless" towers that are guyed.  That leaves the
question that in some countries wireless referes to Amateur Radio, but
currently it would be mainly cell phones and wireless internet.
I'm assuming that is to what he was referring.

The majority of towers up to 300 feet "around here" (Central Michigan) and
in the more heavily populated areas are self supporting.  Depending on were
you go the cell towers are on the order of 200 feet or so. Most towers in
this area are 300 to 400 feet with a few being 500.  I don't know of any in
this area over 300 feet that are not guyed.

Locally we have about a dozen cell towers.  I think about 5 are guyed.

> Sounds like a job that may not be possible without making a lot of
> assumptions.  Like, number of amateurs and the percent that have a tower.
> That means defining 'tower'.  That leads to TV antennas on 'towers'.  TV
> is
> one way but still wireless communications?
>
> Permits are usually county approved so we have , how many counties to
> check
> data from?
>
> I am curious as to what you want to know!

Now *that* brings up some interesting questions particularly if it referrs
only to cell towers.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com