Re: [TowerTalk] remote stations

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] remote stations
From: "Richard Thorne" <rmthorne@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 14:27:48 -0500
This is a problem but several of the more common rigs that folks have
work excellent for remote rigs:

The TS-2000 and TS-480 rigs are excellent rigs for remote control. Just
about all the features can be controlled as well as turning them on/off
remotely.

The Elecraft K2 and most of the recent Icom rigs, 756pro,II and III are
excellent rigs for remoting. These rigs do not have a software command
to turn them on and off, so another scheme is needed for power on/off.

I'm currently using a TS-480 ( due to its combination of DSP and crystal
filters) with a program called TRX-Manager.  I can control just about
every feature the rig has via remote.  To take it a step further I'm now
using a serial/ip server made by Lantronix.  This is basically a box
with serial ports that is communicated to via tcp/ip.  I'm now
controlling my rig and rotor without the need for a computer at the
remote end.

For antenna switching I'm using a Microham Band Decoder connected to my
480 and antenna switch.  For audio I'm using Skype.

I guess my point is that remoting a station is becoming more plug and
play and its available today.  Of course most of the newer remoting
systems are taking advantage of high speed internet connections which
may get in the way of a station located out in the boonies.  I did have
a Kachina remoted via the phone line but the audio was terrible.  Their
system was trying to send data commands as well as audio via a normal
phone line.  There just wasn't enough band width and the audio suffered
terribly in that system.  Let alone the constant disconnects due to rf
getting into the modem.

In my case I can't have antennas at my home qth, but I have a nice
office building with a very large concrete roof thats perfect for
towers/antennas.

73,

Rich - N5ZC