Re: [TowerTalk] dumbing down...extra class test

To: Tom Rauch <w8ji@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] dumbing down...extra class test
From: "R. Kevin Stover" <rkstover@mchsi.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 11:06:32 -0500
Tom Rauch wrote:
> 7 year olds now pass the extra, as do many people who know
> absolutely nothing about radio.
>
> Let's not pretend it is more difficult just because the
> question pool is larger or because people say it is.

As an ARRL VE, and one who took and passed the pre-2000 extra class
test, I can state in no uncertain terms the that ALL of the current
theory tests for any class license are easier than they were in the past.

If you're really concerned as I am about the direction of Ham Radio,
then we need a concerted effort to change the question pools and quit
publishing the pools on the I-net and in "study guides". It's just a
little embarrassing to wander across an antenna conversation in the
Extra portion of 20m and notice that nobody involved knows the formula
for a half wave dipole or quarter wave vertical.

When I got licensed back in 1992 I took all of the theory tests in one
sitting. I thought the toughest was the old 50 question Advanced class
test. That thing was packed from stem to stern with electrical and RF
theory. I did fail the extra that time but the brain was pretty much
toast after taking the previous four.

--
R. Kevin Stover ACØH

K2/100 #4684