[TowerTalk] dumbing down

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] dumbing down
From: "Don Bozarth" <drboz@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 14:09:09 -0700
First off, ham radio is a hobby... something done for pleasure and
relaxation. That's not to say that it doesn't get wooly in a contest pileup.
"Dumbing down" (not so sure I like the moniker) has been going on since the
70's (anyone remember affirmative action... good idea...poorly implemented).
It's happened everywhere, not just in our hobby. But it's not an US vs. THEM
issue. We are all hams. One of the things I've always enjoyed about ham
radio is that there is something there for everyone... the experimenter, the
rag chewer, the VHF enthusiast, the DXer, the home brewer, or the appliance
operator (and all those I've left out).  Some are tecnically competent
others are not.  Just because someone passed a test 30 or 40 years ago, when
the test was very much technically oriented, doesn't necessarily make them
tecnically comptetent today. Too many changes... we certainly didn't know
about DSP or even IC's in the 50's. There will always be hams whose interest
in the technical aspects of the hobby will drive them to competence.  Some
are not so driven. Hams are a large and diverse group.  In any group of this
size there are going to be some who don't follow the rules... not just the
legal ones, but the "gentlemens' agreements", and good operating etiquette
as well.  A pity perhaps, but we are also pretty much self regulating.... so
if we know someone who isn't following the rules, what is our
responsibility?  Time to step up to the plate... mentor, tutor, see if we
can make our hobby better.  It's easy to gripe.  It's easy to say the
elimination of the code requirement is the ruination of ham radio.  It's far
more difficcult, though no less required, to find solutions.  Should the
"extra" class be the haven for the technical?  Maybe.  But it won't be
solved here.  Is it a problem that really needs to be "solved"?  Change is
the only constant in the universe.  If you really want change, you have to
get involved... talk to new hams... talk to old hams.... and talk to those
who can influence change.

Don Bozarth
W6DRB