Re: [TowerTalk] Practical Ground Screens for NVIS antennas

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Practical Ground Screens for NVIS antennas
From: "Mark ." <n1lo@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 08:17:48 -0400
Thank you all for your thoughtful and informative replies. Having a large
spool of light wire with which I can easily lay down a screen is the easiest
way to go, much like the pattern of cooling coils in AC heat exchangers.
This avoids the tedious placement of individual wires.

I remember the 0.05 wave max spacing rule from past discussions of
conventional ground radials. On 80m, our local Virginia Phone net and
emergency net meets on 3947. During the day, there's also a 40m freq...
hmmm. I would have to size the spacing for the smallest wavelength (40m
band).

lessee....  (11811/7.2)*.05 = 82 inches.  A nominal 6 foot spacing ought to
do it for both 40 and 80m. I'm not quite sure how much overlap (lengthwise)
to use. A halfwave on 80m is about 135 ft in wire.

Let me attempt some ASCII art to illustrate. How about something like this ?

(~6 ft spacing)
   |  |--|  |--|
   |  |  |  |  |
   |  |  |  |  |