Re: [TowerTalk] Wonderpole mast guying

To: "James C. Hall, MD" <nwtcc@earthlink.net>, keith@dutson.net,towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wonderpole mast guying
From: ersmar@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 01:13:44 +0000
Jamie:

     A couple of ideas:

1.   Can the inner pole section slip out of the next-heavier ones?  If so,
might you be able to remove the 3/4 inch and 1-1/4 inch sections and install
guys rings BEFORE you re-install the sections?

2.   If the sections cannot slip out of each other, how about three foot-long
loops of Dacron rope, each with a small steel ring attached to it via a
modified Prusik knot ( http://www.iland.net/~jbritton/prusik.htm ), and thence
attached to the pole via another modified Prusik knot just above the
tighteners?  Each ring would be about a foot away from the pole and connect to
the guy ropes via clips into the rings (military-style guy attachment.)  Or you
could simply tie the guy rope to the rings.  The long loops might give the pole
some rotational ability before they actually slip around the pole during
rotation.  [I'd recommend skipping steps three and four in the referenced URL;
otherwise the three knots will result in the guy points being several inches
above each other.  Plus the additional wrap around the pole will be too tight
to allow the knot to slip as the pole rotates.]

FWIW.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F