Re: [TowerTalk] Yagi lightning protection

To: <keith@dutson.net>, <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yagi lightning protection
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 22:59:47 -0400
> Open frame.
>
> I have that relay box on my C-4XL.  See photo at
> http://www.dutson.net/transfer/HamRadio/C-4XL/relay4.JPG

There is almost no voltage at all across that relay's
contacts in operation.

What I would do is install rugged very close spaced spark
gaps across the contacts, perhaps by placing the gaps across
the leads entering and leaving the box outside the box.

We did that all the time with BC transfer relays.

If the antenna leads are at a low RF voltage point, and it
appears that they are, I'd put an intentional rugged gap
from the elements to the boom.

73 Tom