Re: [TowerTalk] G4ZU SK

To: "David Thompson" <thompson@mindspring.com>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] G4ZU SK
From: "John Tait" <johnei7ba@eircom.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 22:09:14 +0100

> This came from a friend Of Capt Dick Bird G4ZU in France.
>
> Dick died on August 16th in his house near Carcassonne (South) of France.
> Dick, well known in the HAM community, was the creator in the fifties of
> the
> MINIBEAM and, since, of several innovative antenna designs such as the
> BIRD'S CAGE, the BOW & ARROW (or Jungle Job ) beam....
> He was living in France since 1999 using the call F6IDC until 2001.
>
> One correction its the BirdCage Antenna (April 1960 CQ). The minibeam was
> great populator of the HF bands (20/15/10).  You could build your own or
> buy
> one from Panda (also sold in the USA and canada).
> Dave K4JRB

I'm very sorry to hear that news Dave... I had one of "Dicky Bird's"
minibeams in the mid 60s. It was a clever design, but difficult to set up.
When properly tuned, they worked very well. I made a few of his "Jungle Job"
beams, which were great. Con DF4SA is producing a very successful modern
multiband version of it. http://www.spiderbeam.net/  I worked him a few
times in recent years as F6IDC. He was still as interested and enthusiastic
as ever. Rest in peace OM.

  John EI7BA   http://www.iol.ie/~bravo/