Re: [TowerTalk] Need Advice on Long Run of Cables to Tower

To: "towertalk reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Need Advice on Long Run of Cables to Tower
From: "Les Kalmus" <w2lk@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 17:16:02 -0400
Joe,

Most local electrical codes require 117V electrical wiring to be run in its
own conduit.

The standard for 117VAC voltage drop is 2% max at the business end. There is
a formula to calculate the required wire size vs the max current to be
drawn. Use:

Voltage drop = K x P x Wire Length in Ft. x Current in Amps / Wire area in
circular mils
        where K = Specific resistivity in ohms - circular mils / foot  K = 11
for
copper at 77-121 degrees F, 12 at 122-167 F.
                P = Phase constant = 2 for single phase, 1.732 for three phase.

I have a 385 foot run to the tower motor which requires 20 amps and wound up
with #2 wires. The third wire, ground, is #12.

For everything else, which is most likely DC, you can apply Ohm's law and
figure what size wire you need. My approach is to make it right the first
time so I tend to err up in size.

For the rotator cable, no matter what you are planning, you will probably
wish you had put the extra wires in some time in the future.

GL.

73, Les