Re: [TowerTalk] Need Advice on Long Run of Cables to Tower

To: "towertalk reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Need Advice on Long Run of Cables to Tower
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 12:02:21 -0500
On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 11:09:41 -0400, Joe Giacobello wrote:

>Do I have to worry about voltage drop for the 115 VAC on a run of
>      that length?  The AC is needed for raising and lowering
tower.
>   2. Do I have to worry about voltage drop for the rotor voltage?
>      Should I be using heavy gauge rotor cable?

The answer to both questions depends on the answer to two other
questions -- 1) how much current is drawn in these two circuits when
they are in use, and 2) at how low a voltage will they function
adequately?  Both of these answers SHOULD be on the manufacturer's
data sheet. From there you do Ohm's law, using the wire resistance
data from the Handbook (don't forget to double the length of the run
to get the total resistance).

Jim Brown  K9YC