Re: [TowerTalk] Coax cutter

To: WW5L@gte.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax cutter
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 17:06:03 -0700
At 04:19 PM 9/2/2005, Tom Anderson wrote:
>Fellow tower talkians:
>
>Anyone know of a good coax cutter/trimmer?  I've looked at the one at
>Radio Shack, but it just goes up to RG6 and RG 58, and doesn't list
>RG213 or RG8.

Some  companies you might look at:
Panduit
Paladin
Klein
Wima might also make one

I'm sure there's others.

Are you going to be cutting just one kind of coax and/or connector, or do
you have lots of different kinds?  They make "fixed" ones where the blades
are set for a particular type of coax  (depth of blade cut) and connector
(spacing of cuts).  They also make adjustable ones (usually use a small
jack screw to set the depth, and the blades fit into slots with a 0.01 inch
or so spacing. http://www.paladin-tools.com/view_tool.php?id=3240  (but it
doesn't do RG-8 sized cable)

  I have a nice Paladin cutter that has removable blade cartridges, so you
can set them up for the different kinds of setups you need (I used to do a
LOT of BNC coax connectors, with three different kinds of cable, so I'd
just stick in the correct cartridge, spin, strip, shove the cable into the
connector and crimp it on).

The Paladin #1256 (the CST-11) will do RG-8, and runs around
$15-20.http://www.paladin-tools.com/view_tool.php?id=1256  I don't know if
the stanard 0.315", .157" lengths will work for your connectors, though.

These things are available from all the usual sources (TESSCO, Newark, etc.)

http://www.paladin-tools.com/