Re: [TowerTalk] Weed Whacker Line?

To: "Hal Kennedy" <halken@comcast.net>,"Tower Talk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Weed Whacker Line?
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 21:01:54 -0700
At 07:18 PM 9/12/2005, Hal Kennedy wrote:
>Anyone try weed whacker line for holding up wire antennas?  The stuff is
>tough and cheap - comes in 1,000 ft rolls.  Suspect it may not hold up to UV
>too well however.  I plan to put out a few test pieces with mechanical loads
>on them and see how they fair - unless someone has the answer.

Hard to tie in knots.  It's quite stiff, and has sharp edges. I find that
trimmer line also is quite brittle.  I think it's polyethylene or similar.

I'm a big fan (since being involuntarily forced into using it at FD) of
cable lacing cord. Smooth, strong, sticks to the roll until you unroll
it.  Have no idea of UV resistance.