[TowerTalk] How to weather seal a Tailtwister rotor?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] How to weather seal a Tailtwister rotor?
From: Marshall Goldblatt <w4emb@myacc.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 19:08:47 -0400
Hello all,

I have a Tailtwister (TX-2) rotor mounted on a Rohn 25 foldover tower.
While the tower itself appears to have survived intact, hurricane
Katrina snapped the mast and destroyed the antennas.  I need to fold the
tower over to work in it, and likely leave it folded over for a fairly
extended period.  This will leave the top of the tower and the rotor
upside down.  Unfortunately, it is still the rainy season here, and the
last time I needed to do this, rain water got into the rotor and settled
in the bell, causing rust and other corrosion damage inside the rotor,
because it is only weather protected when it is upright.  I would like
to seal the rotor while the tower is folded over to prevent this from
happening again, but none of the ideas I've had so far (wrapping it in
plastic garbage bags, using duct tape, using sealing foam) are usable,
either because they don't seal well enough to keep water out or because
sealing stuff may get up inside the rotor where I can't get it out.

So, does anyone have any suggestions?

73, Marshall - W4EMB