Re: [TowerTalk] Staples

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Staples
From: W2RU - Bud Hippisley <W2RU@frontiernet.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 01:23:26 +0000
A year ago I asked the same question about methods of holding down
radials in my yard here in the forests of the Adirondack Mountains.  I
have no grass (hence no mowers to worry about) -- just tree roots and
centuries of pine needles.

I tried bobby pins and simple coat hanger pieces at first, since the
nearest Lowe's folks couldn't point me to any sod staples.  But because
of the unique characteristics of pine needle beds, I've found that I
have to use a combination of three things:

1.  Hammer big electrical staples into the tree roots where the radials
absolutely must cross over exposed roots.
2.  Cut a trench in the pine needles down to some approximation to real
soil, and bury the radial except when it comes up for tree roots.
3.  Every few feet of radial, use a specially shaped piece of coat
hanger as a buried anchor.  I form the hanger steel in the shape of a J,
then bend the lowest third of the long leg of the J back upward at an
angle, like the barb on a fish hook, to keep the springiness of the pine
needles from pushing the "staple" back up into the air.

If I don't do this, people are forever tripping on my radials.

As you might guess, radial installation here is a slow process....

Bud, W2RU