[TowerTalk] fiberglass guys

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] fiberglass guys
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 20:02:36 EDT
These happenings really got me wondering would I want synthetic guys
that burn and can be easily cut!

Of course the caveat on using non-EHS guys is to allow for vandalism and
fire.  Most guys in the know consider these things and usually run the guys to
about 20 feet or so from the bottom and then run EHS the rest of the way down
the turnbuckles.  Of course vandals can cut EHS anyway, but at least they cant
just use Exacto knives to do it.

I can tell you experience trumps theory on these things. I have had several
antennas (tribanders and monobanders) mounted down the tower where they were
pretty close to the EHS guy wires.  SWR was always changed for the better when
the EHS was replaced with Philly or Polyrod, sometimes significantly.

For the general 50 or 60 foot tower with a tribander on top the EHS would
probably be just fine, but if you are stacking down the tower, suck it up, and
go
for the fiberglass.  It does make a difference.

I've never understood how someone can spend $4000 for a radio and amp,
another $1000 or $2000 for tower/concrete/rotor and cheap out on the antenna,
guy
wire and coax.  Cut corners on lots of things but not that!

Bill K4XS