Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna problem?

To: K7LXC@aol.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna problem?
From: Peter Chadwick <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 17:58:39 +0200 (CEST)
>Plug it into the FT-990 and the swr on the rig was 3:1. Antenna tuner was
off. Add different lengths of RG-8, the swr varied from 2.5:1 to 5:1.  It
doesn't seem to be wx related. <

I'd suspect common mode currents on the coax outer. Some ferrite rings or clip
on sleeves, plus a couple on the mains lead would be the first place I'd try.
Plus, have you got a good RF ground on the radio? Or still got a good RF ground
on the radio? I ask that because I had a ground on my antenna tuner consisting
of 6 inch wide aluminium flashing running back to the tower. Checked the
continuity last weekend - it was 80 ohms. The aluminium had corroded through
just below the sod.

73

Peter G3RZP

Message Received: Oct 06 2005, 04:46 PM
From: K7LXC@aol.com
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Cc: W7FPChuck@aol.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna problem?

Howdy, TowerTalkians --

I've got an antenna problem and I'm stumped. An M2 15M monobander
developed some high swr - 3:1 or more where it used to be 1.1:1.

I took a crane and man-basket up to the feedpoint and measured the swr
with my MFJ at the balun; it was 1.2:1. I next measured at the jumper to the
tower - same thing. Then I measured the end of the feedline in the shack - same
thing. As far as I was concerned, the antenna system was fine.

Plug it into the FT-990 and the swr on the rig was 3:1. Antenna tuner was
off. Add different lengths of RG-8, the swr varied from 2.5:1 to 5:1. It
doesn't seem to be wx related.

Like I said, I'm stumped. Any help out there? Solutions appreciated!

Cheers,
Steve K7LXC
TOWER TECH